Monday, March 11, 2013
• • Whole Foods CEO: A New Way to Think About Capitalism
Listening to Whole Foods founder and CEO John Mackey talk, you get the sense he read quite a bit of Ayn Rand growing up. “Business is the greatest creator of value in the world,” he said today at SXSW. “Business is fundamentally ethical, because no one has to trade. Business is fundamentally noble, because it elevates humanity. Business is fundamentally heroic, because it ends poverty.”
Wednesday, February 06, 2013
Sunday, January 13, 2013
• • 17 Bold, Marginally Probable Business Predictions for 2013
9. Ayn Rand becomes known primarily as the lyrical inspiration for the Rush album 2112. Mentions still occasionally result in philosophical discussions regarding happiness as a moral purpose... but in most cases the result is a flurry of devil horn gestures.
Tuesday, January 08, 2013
• • You Control the Fate of Business
Atlas Shrugged |
I recently finished reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. One of the themes in the book is the concept that money is a merely a means for trading our "best effort for the best efforts of others." I was reminded of this as I listened to the debates and doomsday predictions about the fiscal cliff and the debt ceiling that hung over our New Year celebrations.
Saturday, August 18, 2012
Saturday, March 06, 2010
• File under “shameless self-promotion”
Our colleagues in Inc.'s art department are celebrating five merit awards presented by the Society of Publication Designers. SPD recognized Inc. for the still-life photography in the Inc. 500 issue, an illustration of author Ayn Rand that appeared in the November issue, and our recurring photo essays "Behind the Scenes," "Passions," and "Innovation."
Friday, November 06, 2009
Thursday, August 20, 2009
• Leaders share their inspiration: Mom, dad, and Ayn Rand
“Entrepreneurs from the 2009 Inc. 500 talk about the people who inspired them.”
"Ayn Rand and objectivist thinking." -- Oran Thomas, Mpell Solutions.
Thursday, April 02, 2009
Monday, October 01, 2007
Saturday, September 29, 2007
• • • Happy anniversary, masters of the universe
Atlas Shrugged |
Atlas Shrugged was largely panned upon publication and still has its detractors. ("Obviously the high priestess of free enterprise never met the men of Enron, Adelphia, and WorldCom," scoffed Arianna Huffington in her book Pigs at the Trough.) But countless entrepreneurs credit the book with inspiring them to start their businesses and persevere in tough times. In honor of the novel's 50th anniversary, Inc. asked some Rand-obsessed entrepreneurs how Atlas Shrugged changed their lives.